A Black Seal always refers to a boiler operator. If on the license there is a phrase “In Charge” then this person is the person in charge of the steam plant or heating plant. Also, the Commonwealth of New Jersey does not distinguish between a fireman and a boiler operator.
- New Jersey Black Seal High-Pressure Operator
- The chief engineer and shift engineer of a high-pressure boiler shall hold at least the license designated in Table 3.4
- New Jersey Black Seal Low-Pressure Operator
- Can operate low-pressure steam or hot water heating plant in which the rated capacity exceeds 100 horsepower or 499 square feet of heating surface or 4,000,000 BTU input or 1,000 kilowatts regardless of pressure or temperature conditions, and only when the building or building being served is deemed occupied.
- A low-pressure license holder can operate low-pressure boilers of unlimited horsepower.
Chief Engineers are not required for low pressure plants.
A boiler operator holding a boiler operator “In Charge” license may act as a Chief Engineer of an installation of 500 BHP or less. They may take charge of a shift, under the supervision of a properly licensed Chief Engineer, in installations not over 1,000 BHP. When the total capacity exceeds 1,000 BHP, they may act as boiler operator, under the direction of, and responsible to, a properly licensed engineer in charge of shift.
Steam Stationary Engineers / Power Generation Licenses
Furthermore, there is a Steam Stationary Engineers License that is superior to a Black Seal and it is listed as follows:
- New Jersey “A” Gold Seal 1st Class – Steam Stationary Engineer and Steam Prime Movers: Licence Designation – “1A”
- New Jersey “B” Red Seal 2st Class – Steam Stationary Engineer and Steam Prime Movers: Licence Designation – “1B”
- New Jersey “C” Blue Seal 3st Class – Steam Stationary Engineer and Steam Prime Movers: Licence Designation – “1C”
A Chief Engineer, Shift Engineer and Boiler Operator of a power generating plant should hold at least one of the three licenses above.
Please contact American Boiler Company today at (973) 923-1999 or complete our contact us form for your boiler operator needs. Site surveys are always free, and for a limited time, we are offering a complimentary boiler inspection with emissions analysis to new customers.